I was checking Inquirer and GMA News earlier - this was my way of getting my daily news updates from Manila and chanced upon a video of Cory Aquino giving a short speech during the mass this morning to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Ninoy Aquino. The YouTube fanatic in me then decided to look up whatever videos were available of Ninoy Aquino and chanced upon his last interview before he was assassinated.
I clearly remember this video when it was shown in 1983, while he was still in Boston, planning to come home to the Philippines. I was 9 years old and I remember my dad was a big admirer of Ninoy's and we were therefore "forced" to watch news about him. He said it was important for us to know what was happening in our country and of course, he was right.
It makes me sad knowing that 25 years after Ninoy's death, justice is still nowhere in sight. The most heart-wrenching part of this video for me was when after he was shot. There were 2 men who picked him up and just dumped him into a vehicle and drove off. Whatever happened to criminal investigation? Everybody knows nobody touches a crime scene until crime scene investigators have done a thorough inspection of the area (yes, I know this thanks to all the CSI Las Vegas, Miami and New York episodes that I've seen during the last few years!).
Ninoy once said that the Philippines was "worth dying for." Am not as nationalistic as he was (doubt that I ever will be), and to be honest, I'm not quite sure if that statement will ever be as impactful now as it was before. Lately, I have become so apathetic with the political and economic situation, the main proof of which I suppose, was my decision to leave the country for better opportunities.
I sure hope things will change and improve in the Philippines. At this point though I'm just not that optimistic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment