Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The best memories of the past 33 years

Not sure if I can manage putting it in chronological order, but hopefully this is good:

- an audio recorded young me singing Didith Reyes' song 'Nananabik', and after a few seconds came a young boy's voice then me howling. Apparently, my younger brother Russell stole my microphone (my mom's belt), which got me very upset.

- my first day in kindergarten. My mom and dad dropped me off then left. I was in tears as they walked away but had to be brave.

- had calamansi juice as my baon everyday in 1st grade.

- first day of school in 2nd grade - when I started wearing glasses. I hated it! :-( My first friends were Michelle, Precious, Cheryl and Myra. It's been 26 years and we're still friends!

- our 3rd grade class teacher was this pretty lady named Mrs. Udani. She appointed me class president at some point.

- my first audition for the Glee Club in 4th grade where I sang Joey Albert's 'A Million Miles Away'. Was part of the Glee Club all the way til my senior year in high school. Yes, yes, I love to sing!

- consoling Ara in 4th grade (sorry, dear, had to mention it, it's too memorable!) while she locked herself up in the bathroom and cried. She moved from another school and hated St. Paul's. She's one of my closest, dearest friends. We've been friends for 24 years!

- winning my first singing contest in school in 5th grade! I sang 'Home', originally sung by Diana Ross. Or was it Barbra Streisand? Hmmm.

- being part of a musical production called Kids' Praise which I did in 5th grade and 6th grade. My first exposure to stage performance. It was fun, fun, fun!

- falling in love for the first time when I was 14, I think. Ha ha ha. I'm not even mentioning anything else!

- having my first boyfriend at 15. And we're friends til now! He never forgets to greet me on my birthday, no matter where he is. Thanks, F! ;-)

- our senior prom which I helped organize. It was totally underground because the nuns refused to sanction it! My first job at handling events! Coordinated everything with the hotel!

- being part of a community theater group when I was 16. I acted in local stage plays, some of which were musicals were I had to sing and dance. This was a big highlight. I must say theater, music and stage - they are my passion!

- first day at school in college. A totally different ballgame after being in an exclusive Catholic school for girls since kindergarten! There were boys on campus!!!

- my 18th birthday, which was funded by my parents but organized by me. The most memorable part was the 18 roses, I think! Ha ha ha. I'm remembering the boys in the lineup. This is terrible!

- meeting Anna on her 18th birthday party. She's been my best friend since! I was maid of honor at her wedding and I'm godmother to her daughter, Beau.

- partying on school nights when I was in college! We were all over Faces, Euphoria and Mars! Most notable party companions were Abbey, Tessah and Bambi.

- going to school the next day with a hangover. ;-)

- drinking at a nearby bar in between classes in college.

- working at the Cultural Center of the Philippines while I was in college. My first real exposure to theater, arts, the opera, ballet, symphony, etc. I had a grand time!

- my first real job after college, working for a multinational company in 1995. My first multi-cultural working environment exposure, working for non-Filipino bosses.

- joining Piltel in 1996 and having a lot of co-workers who were my age. Fridays always ended with a night out and it was fun! Syd, Tonette, Gracie, Weng and I became good friends and have remaine so since!

- having a great boss in Piltel named Ditas Maramara. One of the nicest, kindest people I will ever come across in my lifetime. She passed away in 1998 or 1999, I think. I still think about her sometimes.

- getting promoted to Supervisor in Piltel and having people report to me. It was a huge responsibility but was also an exciting one. Having the opportunity to impart knowledge is a good thing!

- driving my first car when I moved to Globe.

- enroling for French classes at Alliance Francaise in Manila. The language has left me but I've acquired great friends in the process - Inna, Mimmie, Butch, Julius and Ammie.

- boys, dating, breakups, tears.

- being able to travel to a lot of places in the Philippines, thanks to my employers

- Boracay

- being able to travel to so many places in the world for work. It gets very stressful and tiring now, but the thought of seeing a new place, meeting new people and eating new food continue to excite me.

- my first trip to Paris for a holiday and I was alone! I survived! Tres bien!

- buying a house. My biggest purchase to-date. The most stressful time of my life, but one of the most memorable.

- my first trip abroad in 2000. Destination? Singapore. Isn't it funny how I actually live here now? ;-)

- getting into the cab on the way to the airport the day I left for Singapore. It felt just like it did on my first day in kindergarten. I was in tears as we drove off but I was trying to be brave so my parents won't see me cry! :-(

- my first few months living in Singapore. Probably the loneliest time of my life. I was crying everyday for about a month. The loneliness still attaches itself on me every once in awhile. It did so last night.

- my sister's news of her pregnancy. The first grandchild in our family is on its way! Watch out for photos in October. ;-)

This will be quite a read. Anyway, if I remember something, will probably do a part 2!

Thanks guys. For all the beautiful memories.

No comments: